Single crystal diamond plates grown via HPHT
Typical Birefringence (Strain) Pattern
Yellow color is due to nitrogen content at the ppm level. HPHT plates typically have faceted corners, so will contain slightly less material than the nominal equivalent cube. Contact us if you would prefer them to be recut to smaller, complete cubes.
Largest faces are polished.
Diamond grown by the high pressure/high temperature (HPHT) process is generally preferred when:
- Mechanical strength is of primary importance
- Dimensions needed are similar in all dimensions (blocky, not wafer-like)
- Low strain is of high importance
- Generally easier to polish (due to lower incidence of lattice straining features)
The downsides to the HPHT process include:
- Smaller lateral dimensions available
- Metallic inclusions are common, not always visible
- Nitrogen impurities affect color and electrical performance